An Open Letter To My Southern Friends:
If ya’ll were at my house tonight, you’da never believed your eyes. I do believe at least 2 of you would have murmured under your breath…”bless her heart”.
Let us drift back in our memory banks to the parties/dinners/mini soirees hosted on Woodley Road. Do you lovingly recall the garlic tomatoes from the crostini melting in your mouth? The gooey provolone seeping out of the pepperoni bread and drizzling down your chin? Your heartburn that exploded like Vesuvius from all of my marinara infused main dishes? Let us reminisce about The Eldest’s 1st birthday party, the “Halloween Tailgate” party where I spent days preparing the Williams Sonoma pumpkin cake with homeade frosting? The jack o’lantern treat bags that I hand crafted with your childrens’ names scrawled in calligraphy which included homemade spider toys? The invitations were printed on thick cardstock and I had designed a pumpkin encapsulating a photo of The Eldest’s adorable little face.
7 years and 2 extra cheeeeeldren later, “get togethers” and birthday parties around here have….evolved.
This evening, we had a family party to celebrate The Nosy Meap’s 3 rd year on the planet. I am not sure if I have gotten smarter or lazier, but this is how it went down:
* An email invite (I didn’t even bother with an EVITE) to the family members and JUST ONE little girlfriend, whose parents happen to be our good pals.
* Pre-prepared Hello Kitty gift bags ordered from Amazon, that The Eldest assembled them as his afternoon busy project.
* 3 appetizers were offered, one being made by my mother. App #2 was a corn dip, which main ingredients came from a can and App #3 was on a Boboli.
* I had no game, activity or marquis moment planned. I take that back. The Eldest played “Happy Birthday” on his keyboard and incorporated “cha cha cha” with the synthesizer.
* Pizza. We ordered pizzas…and…they were delivered.
* Crazy cousin Amy brought premade Hello Kitty Cupcakes. I bought a yellow sheet cake from Giant. Although SHOUT OUT TO ME, under the tutelage of The Eldest, I created the Hello Kitty on the cake with icing tubes. Flowers courtesy of the Giant bakers.
And now, friends, you will just feel pity for me as I further reflect on the evening. Ding! I just remembered that earlier today, I had purchased A LOT of pre-cut, pre-washed and pre-assembled fresh fruit…and it’s still lingering in my fridge. Dammit! In addition, Lazy Mom also bought 4 containers of pre-diced vegetables that I put in corresponding mini ceramic vegetable serving dishes for the greek salad…that is … still in the crisper. Double Dammit!
Mama & Mr. Momica, you’d be laughing right now and MoreSara, I think I’d be defriended…