For us over here moderately practicing Lutherans, (and one devout 8 year old) the Lent season is hovering. Beginning in exactly 1 week we have our Ash Wednesday kick off.
Each year, I make a stab at sacrificing something for Lent, but I always add so many clauses, it just never ends up …working out for me?!? And, the great thing about being such a human weakling is that I can just attribute my insatiability and inability to resist carbohydrates or a nice Malbec to … my inane human weakness.
BUT NOT THIS YEAR, PEOPLE. NOT THIS YEAR. Not only will I have The Eldest who will hold me accountable, I will have you…(exactly who are some of you, by the way)?
So let’s take a gander and brainstorm together.
Firstly- 40 days of celibacy or abstaining from wine consumption are officially OFF the table. It just makes no sense in this house. I can find something more meaningful to sacrifice that The Good Lord will appreciate more than these two aforementioned actions which will negatively affect the other adult member of this house who does not participate in such Lent deprivation activities. No need to have both adults in this house super cranky. He actually gave an absolute forbidden and put his foot down. Sorta like I did when I decided “we” were relocating from Florida to Pennsylvania and “we” were having a 3 rd baby. It doesn’t often happen, but when it does, you just say ok.
So, in my typical Modus Operandi, I just googled “how to decide what to give up for lent”. This is the official Wiki guideline and once “we” decide the top 3 best ideas of what to sacrifice, I will double check and make sure it fits the guildelines.
Once you’ve chosen what you’d like to give up, consider the following questions:
Is this something I like?
Is this something I enjoy doing/eating?
Is this something that’s important to me?
Do I think this will be a challenge throughout Lent?
Will I appreciate this when I can have/do it again on Easter?
Am I giving this up because I have to (someone is making me), or because I want to?
Is this a true sacrifice?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, you’ve chosen an excellent Lenten sacrifice.
Here’s my current brainstorm, please feel free to comment…
* Really any type of decadent food. Bloody steak, fried calamari, sushi (fried with lots of creamy drizzles), french onion soup, Cheez Itz BIG, seafood, tatertots, potato chips, Texas Toast … CHEESE…you get the picture. Gluttony is my #1 sin. I think…
* Coffee. I drink at least 6-8 Turbo cups a day.
* The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Special Dutch Chocolate Powder. Thank you, Kate (www.loveandknuckles.com), but now I have a bad habit…I am sniffing the canister as I type.
* GUM. I am addicted to Orbit Bubblemint in the car carrier. I chew at least 20 pieces a day.
* Complaining…I never thought I was a big one to do so…but it has been recently revealed to me…that yes, indeed, I do…
* Yelling….at The Husband, my children, the blind and deaf dogs ….
Thank you in advance as I will take a tally of all your votes and carefully consider my options.