Today is one of the happiest days of the year for my husband. He is a poli- sci junkie and relishes in Election Day, regardless of the outcome. Truly. He loves the sport, the science and the soul of the election process.
I, however, have a more melancholy with a titch of jaded outlook. I have spent the last part of the year observing friendships being destroyed, families’ fight, and Facebook/Twitter wars being declared (please refer to my friend Dena’s blog http://cwazytown.com/2012/10/22/stinky-head/) over politics. My southern self would say this is “just downright ugly”. And, apparently, I am one of the few people in the world that has the ability to maintain friendships regardless of their political parties. I have one close friend who works for Planned Parenthood and another who is an avid donor and volunteer for many Florida Pro-Life organizations. I can hang with them both. Perhaps due to my Demliblican stance I have the ability to see through different glasses, and I wish I could share this talent with the vast population of the United States. Especially the ones on FB/Twitter….
Some of the more absurd things I have heard during this election year:
- Obama is a Muslim (Really? Because it would have been so easy for him to sneak over to his Pilgrimage to Mecca, undetected these past 4 years?)
- Romney is a sleeper cell for the Tea Party (Really, the moderate Governor from a Blue State who wanted to socialize medicine?)
- Obama is an Idiot (Really? Wasn’t he the President of The Harvard Law Review?)
- Romney is an Idiot (Really? Wasn’t he the CEO of Bain Capital?)
- “Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.” - Pat Robertson (This is just fun.)
So, while Gregg sits in the basement “command center” munching on his Alfredo’s pizza with CNN and MSCNBC blaring on more than one TV, digesting the reports and crunching away, I sit here looking forward to the silence tomorrow will bring. No more vitriolic comments and maybe, just maybe, we can be friends again… In the meantime, entertain me. What are the most ridiculous things you’ve heard on social media concerning this Presidential election?